In continuation of our light studies, the children are now using flashlights in the basement. I brought out the tunnel as well, as I wondered if there would be interesting interactions between children using the flashlights.
Here are some photos of what that activity looked like.
- swinging flashlights around by the string handle
- putting flashlights in their mouths
- shining the light into their faces
- shining the light on the ceiling, walls, and floor
- shinning flashlights at each other
- shinning flashlights through the tunnel
- turning flashlights on and off.
I wonder what theories the children are building about light and motion, in relation to using flashlights. Based on my observations, I think they might be wondering:
- Where is the light coming from?
- Can I direct the light?
- How far can light travel?
- What does light look like?
- Can I control the brightness of the light?
- …and more